Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The Good, the Bad & the Ugly

Hi Everyone,

Hope you're enjoying your Summer and finding some cool fashion buys out there! Can you believe that we're already half way through the Summer season? And real soon we'll be planning our Fall wardrobes.

As I mentioned in my last posting, one of the great things about attending yard/estate sales is the people you meet each week, locally. You just never know, if you might rub elbows with someone famous or purchase an item originally owned by a star.

Recently, I met Janice Liebhart, the back-up singer for eight years with the ultra famous music icon, Michael Bolton. She had a nice yard sale at her house and I bought a black, rayon tunic with metallic accents by designer, aziz for $1. Here's a photo of the shirt:
She told me that she wore the tunic, numerous times while they were on tour...so, now I own a piece of music history!  :) Yeah!

And many years ago, I even bought a decorative planter from a garage sale that was rumored to have been owned by television-great Merv Griffin. As I recall I paid just a couple of dollars for it.
Here's a photo of that image, even though it's not a piece of fashion. It's still pretty awesome and I love how it looks in my kitchen on my antique oak server.
Well, besides making these purchases there's the whole ambiance/environment behind attending yard/estate sales. Some of my most fondest memories include: the lady who baked homemade chocolate chip cookies and served tea and/or coffee to everyone free of charge. Then there's was the backyard sale with freshly, squeezed lemonade drinks prepared from her lemon trees for people wading through merchandise stuff.

Of course, these sales can't all be sunshine, lolipops and roses types of events...some professionally manged estate sales pretty much harass the potential customers by preventing anyone to bring in their purses/handbags into the sales.
They state that it prevents thieves from easily placing merchandise into bags. If a thief wants something that probably won't deter them, but I guess that you have play by the rules sometimes, right?

And last but not least... one of the least appropriate sale items I come across almost every week is people selling their used, lingerie (bras and panties).
Let me just say this...lingerie is to be bought new at the store!!!

There are plenty of discount retail stores, where you can find reasonably priced bras and panties--Ross Dress for Less is one great resource, as well as TJ Max and Marshall's. There should actually be a law against purchasing lingerie used, it's just plain disgusting and WRONG!!

In closing I wish you many happy hours of neighborhood shopping, finding lots of exciting fashions! And remember to always keep an eye out for those weekly, signs posted for yard/estate sales where you'll find 'one man's trash is another man's treasure.'

Until next week!
Barbara

No comments:

Post a Comment